Thursday, April 10, 2008

Musings

Wow, two posts in one night. that has to be a record. I recently read a post on someone else's blog about Oprah's new spirituality. Apparently, it has a huge following, especially since Oprah has endorsed it. Now, i know next to nothing about what this is, all I've been able to gather is that it uses Jesus Christ, but isn't true to the christian faith or something like that. if anyone knows anymore about this, i would love to hear more. Anyway, more striking to me were the comments made by the many, many christians who wrote on some of the boards on her website about this spirituality.

The comments all strove to make clear what exactly christians believe. The comments were all doctrinally sound yet, i just felt like something was missing. It was like life was missing. there were all these great words on a page. All these wonderful scriptures from the bible, but it somehow seemed dead to me. I am thinking as i'm writing, so bear with me.. I just went back to read over the comments and it hit me why it all seemed so dead, lifeless to me.. for one there was no sense of the transforming power of Christ. Sure the words were there, but no testimony. I wanted just one person to write about how Christ had transformed their lives. Furthermore, So many writers went on about still being a sinner ... and i thought where is the victory in that. Is that why we come to christ so we can get a get into heaven card and then go on living the same? Shouldn't our lives be victorious? shouldn't we be able to have victory over sin, over selfishness, as Christ did??? Isn't that what people are looking for? searching for? and if Christianity doesn't supply that. If our lives don't show that? Then why would anyone want it ? I think that's it, that's what i sensed in these posts. defeat to sin.

I don't think we/I should feel defeated by sin, saying oh i'm a christian but you know i still sin! I am a sinner. i'm not sure it is good to cling to the identity of sinner. Why did Christ say over and over again, "go and sin no more," if it wasn't possible thru him, to do that. why are there so many verses in the NT that say that those in Christ do not sin like 1 john 3:9 for example (whoever is born of God does not commit sin.....he cannot sin because he is born of God)?

I myself am not living victoriously. And everything in me wants this. I have felt recently that only if i were to have a damascus road experience would this victory occur, or if the Holy Spirit were to descend on me the way it did the apostles, but now writing this I wonder if it's merely in beginnning to recast my identity as a daughter in Christ that victory will and can occur.

Well, i think i've gotten to the end of my ability to think clearly. my brain is getting foggy and i'm starting to feel confused again, just when writing all this out was helping me see things more clearly... so those are my thoughts for now.. i would love to hear your thoughts, comments on what i have written.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I agree with you - there needs to be a testimony of our victory through Jesus! I believe that we are overcomers only in Jesus BECAUSE of the work of Jesus. Too many people don't realize that Christ is the author AND finisher of our faith. The victory over sin is in Him and we must choose to follow Him to have that victory. His burden is easy, His yoke is light. I too am a stay at home mom. I feel challenged continually with my 4yr old daughter and 2yr old son. I can't begin to count how many mistakes I've made while learning how to parent! But it's because Jesus is truly the LORD of our family and that we choose to turn to Him for help and wisdom that we have success and peace, health and happiness in our home!
Dyan

1 John 1:7-9:

7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

8If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

armstark said...

yes, the Oprah thing is crazy - look it up on YouTube. Someone sent it to me recently and I had no idea (not that I think she is all that or ever watch her)
But yah - surprising that there is no real testimony on there. Sad actually.