Thursday, April 10, 2008

the promised Potty Training story

Okay, so it started like this. I was reading something online, can't remember what exactly anymore and i stumbled across some articles on diapers. They were describing how many chemicals are used in the diapers to enable them to be so absorbent. I had no idea, until then, or at least i had never really thought about what they do to make them absorbent. Needless to say I was horrified after reading these articles. So, i thought what should i do, do i switch to cloth, even though i could start potty training soon, or do i just start potty training to try and get him out of diapers. Well, i remembered reading in the book the baby whisperer that you could start as early as nine months and i had heard of the diaper free philosophy, so i knew it could be done early, so i thought, hey why not try it.

Went out bought the potty. let me tell you it was a bit of a dilemna deciding what potty to buy. Do i get the one that sings or the one with an extra step, just the one you put ontop of the adult toliet or the three in one. Anyway, so I finally decided on the three in one, bought it, went home. I couldn't wait to get started. i showed Joshua the potty and he was thrilled with it...Well of course, to him it was just another toy. It was really cute actually because he climbed up on it and sat on the edge with his feet in the bowl. I wish i had a picture, but I couldn't get to my camera fast enough.

So..my plan was to wait for the poo..it's very obvious when he goes..and grab him, put him on and just do it for the poos till he got used to it and then start with the pee. Well, wouldn't you know it, i could never quite get him to the toliet fast enough. by the time i got him there he was all done.. sigh...once i was in the bathroom with him and he started grunting so i said go on your toliet Joshua, and he actually climbed onto the potty and went on the toliet.....with his diaper still on...my cold induced brain was not really up to speed at the moment..although it was probably a good thing i didn't get his diaper off, b/c he was sitting with his feet in the bowl again.

Anyway, i have lost momenteum, since i haven't really mangaged to get him on the toliet in time. I always seem to miss it.. I want to get more focused and really consistently work on it. I keep promising myself i'll do it tommorrow...but tommorrow never really comes. But i really should, b/c if i don't do it soon, i think i'm going to have to go the cloth diapers route..b/c i really don't want him in those disposables for much longer.. I'm worried i'm going to be ruining his future ability to produce offspring..if what these articles suggest is at all correct.

so that is my potty training story...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me again - just commented on your post about Oprah ;)

Don't give up potty-training! Both my kids were trained by about 2 and all I did was put them in regular undies, endured lots of accidents (mainly pee) for several days until they got the idea. Even if I didn't catch them in time, I'd put them on the potty while I got clean clothes and remind them by asking, "where do pee and poo go?" They would point behind them ('cause they were sitting on the toilet) to show that they knew. If they had pooped and it could be dumped into the toilet, I would do that to reinforce the idea that it belonged in the toilet. Also, I trained them on the adult toilet with a potty seat right away to avoid having to retrain. My son could balance himself without a potty seat by about 22 mmonths.

Anyway, just wanted to encourage you - it is possible if your son is interested and you are ready to go for it!
Dyan

armstark said...

We started this with Jack at 4 months old. I have a friend who did the diaper free thing so I figured why not give it a whirl for the poops (like you!)
He would grunt, we'd put him on as he got oldler, he would scream, we'd put him on - it was all working very nicely!
Then in the last few weeks, he comes over, lays his head in your lap, smiles and runs away - and poops in his pants. I too am trying to be consistent and I think that is key. With Matthew we waited till he was like 2 and a half to start and bribery worked for him! LOL!!!
Anyway - potty training isn't fun no matter how old they are - but, once they are in kindergarten, they will all be caught up, right?
Maybe I'll follow your lead and post about potty training too!