Thursday, February 7, 2008

Freedom

Well, I had my first whole half day to myself this past weekend. I finally bit the bullet and decided that Daddy could try and get Joshua down for his nap without me for once. Now you are probably thinking what's with that, how come I need to be there. Well, basically it's because I am still breastfeeding and Joshua gets a feed before his naps. You might wonder, why I couldn't in the past have left a bottle with my husband, so that i could get out for longer than a couple of hours during the day (nights aren't a problem, no worries there, just daytime)! Well, to answer that my dear son has never taken to the bottle. We tried numerous times and he refused it. I know of someone who didn't feed their child until they took the bottle, but I wasn't willing to go that far in order for some freedom.

So, an opportunity came up to help mann a booth for Compassion Canada at a boundaries conference and I decided to go for it, b/c i figured it was about time that Joshua learned to let other people besides me feed him and put him down for his naps. So, i left Ken with a bottle and instructions on the routine to follow before putting him down for his nap and ....it worked and for the first time ever he actually sucked back some formula from the bottle ( i know whole milk is supposed to be okay now, but still feel he could use the extra nutrients, vitamins etc in formula as opposed to whole milk). Anyway, i have to say it was the most liberating experience to come home and find he was fine without me. I missed him, but I can't wait to do it again.

The ironic part of it all of course is that it's just when he should be weaned off the bottle to a cup that he chooses to drink from the bottle.

3 comments:

Korinne Tjepkema said...

Congratulations on your newfound freedom! We had the same problem with Mercy - she would NOT take a bottle. One time I went out and decided to buy her a sippy cup (when she was old enough for a cup instead of a bottle) that had a straw in it. Her sucking reflexes were there because of nursing so I thought "why not??". Sure enough, she took it! So we ended up NEVER giving her a bottle! You might want to try a few sippy cups with him and maybe you can just skip the bottle step! Have fun!

armstark said...

We were in the same boat with Jack! He wouldn't do the bottle either so we went right to a sippy and he's fine with it.
We still give him formula in his milk for the "extras" too!

heidi said...

i tried having josh put tristan to bed yesterday and DISASTER ensued!! he's never really put him down for a nap before, i'm not too sure why, but that is definitely something i'll do differently with our next child. i'm supposed to be gone all day next saturday, and i have no clue if tristan will even take a nap at all with just my husband at home! consider yourself lucky to have such freedom and peace of mind :)