I've been listening to focus on the family and family life today all this week, because they have been doing a series on adoption and it's really interesting to hear people's stories. Focus on the Family had this lady speaking (i can't remember her name) about her life as an orphan and it was horrible the things she had to go through. The first time she was ever hugged was when she was 19. The family she lived with after the age of 12 would only let her take a bath once a month and it was supervised by the mom. Yet, in spite of all of this, she clung to Jesus who she had met through a lady who came to the orphanage she was in. She had nothing, no love, hardly any food (they only gave her scraps), nowhere safe and warm to go, yet she had Jesus and she clung to him and he gave her the strength not only to endure, but also to have a peace and joy in the midst of it all. It was a very powerful and moving account. It made me think of how much I have, even though I often feel like i need more--more friends, clothes, money etc---and because of all I have, really how little I feel that Jesus is all I need. I feel that I need all of these things in order to be happy and content. But really Jesus tells us that he is all we need. So my prayer is that I will come to that state, because I really, really want to be able to say sincerely that Jesus is all I need. Because I really do in my heart believe that it is true. Nothing else can really satisfy me the way he can, yet I keep trying to get all these other things to satisfy me. Why do I do that?? I just don't know. And I wish and pray that I wouldn't, because I want Jesus to be enough. Because I know that the times when I actually do cling to this I feel a peace and joy and happiness that I just don't get from anything else. And when I turn to books or food or people to make myself feel better, it often does the opposite. I feel good for a little while, but it doesn't last and I don't feel that absolute contentedness that comes from going to Jesus. I think to live, to really live, I need to be constantly in this state, but I'm not and to tell you the truth I think because of this I don't feel really alive. I feel like I'm going through the motions, but the meaning the purpose the makes living worthwhile just isn't there and I think it is because Jesus is not all I need. So I am going to try to do something about it. I'll let you know how it goes.
So, how's that for a confession???
0h, funnily enough just after I posted my last post about Joshua's sleep habits, wouldn't you know it, he woke up (sigh). But he did sleep till five in the morning after that, so still seeing some improvement.
No comments:
Post a Comment