Monday, November 5, 2007

Not a shopaholic

I don't know how many people have read the Shopaholic books (I've read them all, and loved them all), but I am so completly not like the central character and I was thinking today that if anything I am like her long lost sister. I am no fashionista (don't know if that's a word, but I liked the way it sounded). This sad, but true, fact about myself was driven home yet once again this weekend. You see, my sister Leanne, celebrated her birthday this week and being a good sister I went shopping to get her a present. Now my sister Leanne is much more like the main character (can't remember her name right now) in the Shopaholic books. She is very well dressed, loves shopping, and has a great sense of style. So, knowing this and knowing that I lack in this department, I thought I would be smart and go shopping with her for my other sister's birthday (Karla) and see what outfits she really liked. So that was good; I figured out what she wanted and thought, okay, I'll get it later at the mall by my place.
Not a good idea!!!
So, I went on my merry way, happy to have the birthday present dilemma solved. Monday comes along and I take myself of to the mall, with Joshua in tow, to grab the present. I walk into the store, camly browse the racks for the top she wanted and find out low and behold it is not there!!! I search high and low in vain and I can't even get help, because I don't know how to describe it. It's one of those, I'll know it when I see it things. Then Joshua starts getting grumpy, because I really should be home by now, putting him down for a nap and I still can't find that stupid top. So, I leave disgusted and panicking, because I don't have a gift and I don't know what else she wants.
Later that night, I sit down and think and think to myself ok I can do this; I 'll just go to the mall tommorrow and find something else, piece of cake. NOT!!! I spend hours and hours (okay maybe a bit of an exaggeration) trying on clothes and deliberating, would she like this, hmmm, or maybe this. Finally, in a fit of exasperation, I grab a shirt, take a deep breath, walk up to the counter and pay for it.
Then comes Sunday, day of the Birthday lunch. We go out for lunch, eat yada, yada, yada. Then the presents come out. I hold my breath. what will the verdict be.... Leanne opens the bag! Pulls out the shirt! Looks at it!! SILENCE!!! Hmmm, i know what that means......ah well, next time, note to self do not try buying clothes alone!!!!

No comments: